This policy explains the way we collect and use the personal information that we collect from you in the course of providing Services to you. We will protect and maintain your privacy in accordance with this policy. This policy forms part of and shall be read together with all other terms and conditions applicable to the U Mobile Service that you use.
If we make any changes to this policy, we will notify you by posting the changes on www.u.com.my. If you continue to use the Services after such posting, you will be regarded as having agreed to those changes. If you do not agree to such changes, you may terminate your relevant Services contract with us.
In this policy:-
The meaning of general words is not limited by specific examples introduced by "including" or "for example" or "such as" or similar expressions.
"our network" means the network owned or operated by us and includes our international and domestic service providers’ network;
"personal information" means any information in our possession or control that relates directly or indirectly to you (or any other individual) to the extent that you (or the other individual) are identified or identifiable from that information or from that and other information in our possession;
"process" includes the handling of personal information such as collecting, recording, holding, storing, using and disclosing.
"Services" means any service or products offered by U Mobile Sdn Bhd (223969-U);
"U Mobile Sites" means U Mobile websites and WAP portal and any other sites or portals that we own or operate.
Agreement to processing of your personal information
By providing your personal information or obtaining the Services or by visiting or using the U Mobile Sites, you acknowledge and consent to your personal information being processed by us and disclosed to third parties according to this policy.
If you provide personal information about someone other than yourself (for example about your family members if you have acquired and is responsible for a Service that they will use). we rely on you to inform them that you are providing their personal information to us and to ensure they have consented to you giving us their information. By giving their personal information, you are regarded to have obtained their consent for disclosure of their personal information to us.
Types of personal information we collect
The personal information we collect depends on the types of Services you use and subscribe to. The information we collect include-
- your name, date of birth, nationality, gender, race, address, email address, phone number, preferred language;
- your particulars of identity documents including NRIC or passport number;
- your bank account and/or credit/debit card details;
- your personal interests and preferences for particular products, services or lifestyle activities when you tell us what they are or when we assume what they are based on how you use our Services;
- your contact with us, such as a note or recording of a call you make to one of our service centers or contact centers, an email or letter you send to us, and other records of any contact you have with us;
- your account information, such as dates of payment owed and received; top-up information; the subscription services you use; and any other information to do with your account
We also collect and process details of your usage of our Services including:-
- phone numbers that you call or send messages to (or the phone numbers that you receive these calls and messages from);
- the level of service you receive, for example network faults and other network events which may affect our Services;
Obligatory or voluntary personal information
Your personal information that we collect may be obligatory or voluntary. The information which are required in the registration form (marked with *) are examples of obligatory information that you need to provide to enable us to process your application and subsequently provide Services to you. Other obligatory information includes the information referred to above under "Types of personal information we collect". Such personal information is collected automatically and if you do not agree to provide such obligatory information we will not be able to or continue to provide the relevant Services or we may limit the provision of the relevant Services.
Sensitive personal information
We generally do not require sensitive personal information about you for the provision of Service to you unless required by applicable laws. if you do not want sensitive personal information collected, please do not submit it. "sensitive personal information" includes any personal information as to the physical or mental health or condition, political opinions, religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature, the commission or alleged commission of any offence.
Ways of collecting personal information
Your personal information is collected through various methods and channels directly from you or from our own records of how you use our Services or from third parties, including:
- When you complete a U Mobile registration , service order , direct debit form or similar forms;
- When you use our network and Services;
- When you ask us for more information about a product or service or contact us with a question or complaint;
- When you make payment to us;
- From a related company of U Mobile;
- From third parties like credit reporting agencies, fraud prevention agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
- From publicly available sources of information like market research providers and business directories;
- When you visit the U Mobile Sites, online store, Facebook page and other pages that we own and manage;
- When you visit external pages through our portals;
- When you submit your personal information through the U Mobile Sites;
- When you enter any contests or promotions or respond to our surveys or questionnaires or request information from us;
- When you contact U Mobile by phone. These calls may be recorded for training, quality and business purposes;
- From our mobile base stations and other equipment that may collect information about your usage (including location-based information);
- From our video surveillance recordings that may record your image when you enter our service centers as part of our security requirements;
- From parties that we nominate or appoint either solely or with other service providers, for purposes of establishing and maintaining a common database where we have a legitimate common interest.
Purpose of collecting and processing personal information
We process your personal information for purposes which are necessary or related to the provision of our Services including the following:-
- to process your application to become a customer;
- to verify your identity or to assess your creditworthiness by conducting appropriate checks;
- to provide the Services to you;
- to conduct planning, provisioning and billing for the Services provided by us (including bill printing and collection of bill payments);
- to protect and defend our rights or property and the interests of our customers or others;
- to establish and maintain a common database of our customers with other service providers or with parties nominated by us;
- to keep you informed generally about our new products and services and to contact you with offers or promotions based on how you use our products and services;
- to provide the relevant service or product to you, which includes other services not included in your agreement with and to contact you with service-related messages about changes to the service or product;
- to inform you know about products and services offered by other companies (including offers and discounts that we have specially negotiated for our customers) that we think may interest you;
- to send public service announcements or seasonal greetings messages either on our behalf or on behalf of third parties whom we think may interest you;
- to understand how our different customers use our network, products and services so we can develop relevant products and services for our customers, as well as personalise the products and services we offer you;
- carry out research and statistical analysis on customer use of our network, products and services to develop new products and services;
- to comply with regulatory requirements and to provide assistance to law enforcement, judicial or other government agencies;
- to deal with enquiries or complaints and other customer care activities relating to our network or our Services ;
- where applicable, facilitate the transfer of the mobile telephone number you have obtained from us to use with the Services to another service provider;
- to train our staff and manage quality assurance;
- for the purpose of preventing or detecting a crime, or for the purpose of investigations or to recover debts or trace those who owe us money;
- if required or authorized by or under any law or by the order of a court; and
- to protect our network and to manage the volume of calls, messages and other use of our network;
- to manage and improve our network, our Services and U Mobile Sites; and
- to maintain, develop, test and upgrade our systems and infrastructure;
Classes of third parties who may have access to your personal information
In the course of providing you with our Services, your personal information may be disclosed to certain third parties that U Mobile works with. Some examples of these third parties are: -
- Credit providers or credit reporting agencies or fraud prevention agencies;
- Our service and content providers and contractors who are involved in delivering any part of our Services to you;
- Our dealers and agents that work with us to provide our Services or that market and sell our Services;
- Our mobile phone manufacturers and repairers;
- Our professional advisors including lawyers, accountants, tax advisors and auditors, on a need to know basis;
- Debt collection agencies and other parties that assist with debt-recovery functions;
- Payment channels including financial institutions for purposes of maintaining financial records, assessing or verifying credit and facilitating payments of any amount due to us;
- Parties that we appoint or with other service providers to establish and maintain a common database where we have a legitimate common interest;
- Law enforcement bodies to assist in their functions, Courts of law or as otherwise required or authorised by law;
- Regulatory, government bodies or other authorities if required or authorized to do so to discharge any regulatory function, under any law or in relation to any order or judgment of a court or for the purpose of detection or prevention of crime, unlawful activities or fraud or for the apprehension or prosecution of offenders, or for an investigation relating to any of these
- Any organization that buy us or if we are reorganized or if we sell any part of our business or assets where any personal information we hold about you will be transferred;
- Other service providers when you have made calls over or used their networks, for billing and service resolution purposes.
Your right to access or update/correct your personal information or withdraw your consent
If you are an individual:-
- you may request for access to personal information that we hold about you;
- you may request for personal information that we hold about you to be updated if you discover that it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date;
- you may withdraw your consent to the processing of any personal information that we hold about you
by writing to:
Designation : Customer Relation Manager
Telephone No : +6018 388 1318 or 1318 (if using U Mobile phone)
Fax No : 03 21448081
E-mail : email@example.com
Address : 11th Floor, East Wing, Berjaya Times Square, 1, Jalan Imbi, 55100 Kuala Lumpur
If you request for access to the personal information, we will endeavour to revert with your request within twenty one (21) days upon receipt of your request. We may charge a fee for fulfilling your request. Please be aware that if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you with the Services you want and this may lead to termination of any contract that we have with you for such Services.
There are some exceptions by law where we may refuse your request for access or correction of personal information. We will notify you accordingly in such an event.
Accuracy of your personal information
You are responsible for providing accurate and complete information to us about yourself and any other person whose personal information you provide us and for updating this personal information as and when it becomes incorrect or out of date by contacting us.
Transfer of personal information to places outside Malaysia
We may need to transfer your personal information to a place outside Malaysia if our suppliers or service providers involved in any part of our provision of Services to you are located outside of Malaysia or if you use the Services while visiting countries outside Malaysia. We will take reasonable precautions to ensure that any such suppliers or service providers are contractually bound not to use your personal information for any reason other than to provide the Services.
Version: 27 February 2014